The Best Post-Vacation MealMar 28, 2023
My criteria were:
- high protein, high fiber
- one pot
- fast af
I needed a year-round meal to always always always have on hand for when we return from travel. You never know what you will have eaten on the trip, how you’ll be feeling after traveling, what will be on deck for the next day…
…you just know you need to eat and maybe feed others people, you need it to be easy and available, and you need to never think about it again. Make it your mission to always have these items (super common pantry staples anyways!) on hand. Never run out. Autopilot that shit, and your life will be golden.
Here’s what I came up with:
- 1 cup pearl couscous, also called Israeli couscous
- 1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth (I’m a homemade broth OR Better Than Bouillon Stan)
- 2 tablespoons za'atar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or grass fed sweet cream butter, because I’m from South Carolina)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the pearl couscous to the pot and stir to coat it in the oil.
- Add the diced tomatoes and white beans to the pot.
- Sprinkle the za'atar over the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth to the pot and stir everything together.
- Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the couscous is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Once done, remove from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the couscous with a fork and serve hot.
Enjoy your delicious pearl couscous, diced tomatoes, and white beans cooked in chicken broth and za'atar! This dish is flavorful, satisfying, and easy to make. You can also add some fresh herbs or a twist of lemon or even zest for an extra zing.
Would you like an opportunity to access a life coach with fifteen years’ experience, twice a month, for practically nothing? Check out Community Support, my app-accessible, self-priced coaching community!
Would you like Cool Blog Stuff in your inbox at random?
Join my mailing list to receive emails. They’re really varied—recipes, stories, lists, news, etc.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
I hate SPAM. I will never sell your information, for any reason. Not even if Pearl Jam asks me to.